Friday, July 25, 2008

Pat Your Weave Girl! Part 1

I have this problem. I have gotten over thinking that natural hair is not attractive, but I am still not please with how my hair looks at it's current length. I just do not feel glamourous! The simple thing to do would be to get a weave. Well I am sure allot of you know how expensive and time consuming installing a weave can be. Though I am blessed to be able to do my own weave…it is still not easy to find time or good hair to do it. Add to all of that the fact that I suffer from mild Hair ADD, and you have a whole new set of issues. With all that being said, I had to find a solution. Instant Weaves! I could KISS the genius that invented these. An instant weave gives you the finished look of a sew in and the convenience of a drawstring ponytail. What more can a girl ask for? Here are some tips I have picked up over the years of wearing instant weaves.

1.When you find a good one that you like, buy more than one. This applies ESPECIALLY if it is a synthetic styles. In the past I have purchased IW that I did not like right away and as they got older I LOVED them but when I go back to buy another they are no longer in stock.
2.If you are natural or texturized, stay away from silky straight shiny styles. If you are leaving a portion of your hair out, please chose a style that looks somewhat similar to what the good lord blessed you with.
3.When wearing curly styles, pick pick pick! Pick and pull and tease and touch. I know allot of people do not like big hair but the more you pick and pull the better it will look. Most ladies do not have frizz free perfect curls, so the less perfect your IW curls are the more natural your IW will look.

4.When leaving hair out in the front, less is more. You do not want to leave a large chunk out in the front. Only enough to cover the tell tale HUMP where your instant weave starts. If you work out and plan to put your hair in a ponytail, remember to leave hair out around the perimeter.

Now the important part, how do you wear an instant weave? Putting it on can take as little as 5 minutes and as long as an hour. It all depends on your skill level and the type of style that you opt for. Being that I am natural, I have not worn a straight instant weave in quite some time. I know that with the southern humidity, the front of my hair would not last very long. I also use IW’s as a protective style so putting heat on the front would defeat the purpose. I did post step by step instructions in my fotki album. www.fotki.com/tuttifruityone
Check it out for more detail on how to wear an instant weave. Here and there I will spotlight different instant weaves and also continue updating the tutorial album. I hope that this helps someone. Now…go ahead…Pat those instant weaves ladies!

No comments: