Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Unbeweavably Natural

About a month and a half ago, I was on fotki looking at hair albums. I come across this one lady that has lovely natural hair. Being that I had been transitioning for a year, I sought out albums with natural hair similar to mine for inspiration. Well I saw this one lady that had beautiful kinky hair..and she was so chic and glamourous. This was new to me. Growing up in the south, I was raised to believe that my hair in it's natural state was not attractive. My mother however was not bothered by what was attractive or not...she refused to relax my long kinky hair. Well as we all do...I rebelled and got a relaxer. After getting my relaxer, my hair was never quite as long and healthy as it was in its natural state...
Now, let's get back to where I was...as you can see...my thought process is very random. LOL At any rate, I can across this album with a Fly Natural Chic. My hair was styled in a sew in weave at the time. I stared at her hair for a good 10 minutes before I got up, went in the bathroom and began cutting my weave out. I knew if I thought about it too long I would chicken out. Well one hour later I had cut all of the relaxer out of my hair and I LOVED it.

Then I woke up the next day. LOL Am I saying I regret it? NO. Do I regret it? Heck no. I love my natural hair. BUT...I feel I look better with longer hair. I feel like a walking lollipop with shorter hair. So after wearing my hair out and natural once publicly, I found that shrinkage was NOT my friend. I have become very acquainted with phony ponies, half wigs and sew ins. All of that to say I cut all my hair off...to become...naturally...UNBEWEAVABLE. I will revisit my hair without assistance after a few months of growth.

No comments: